Friday, April 29, 2011

Great Moments of Retail: v1.05: Or Not

Well, more like, sometimes we just suck! (Blogging live from the retail floor.)

We've really been watching our inventory over the last few years. And that's been a good thing, business wise, it really has. The lines between 'wet,' 'dry' and 'damp' that determine where alcoholic beverages can be sold have been changing with every election lately and with every new area that wants the tax revenue and allows alcohol, we lose market share. It's as simple as that.

And as sales dwindle on the wines that are sold in grocery stores, we're paring inventory. It's really sound business sense. But sometimes too much of a good thing can be a little too much. 


Case in point:

Our prosecco sales have been a little slow. Why? For one thing, we have a phenomenal domestic sparkler that sells at a low price and makes life tough for any competition. For another we don't have a prosecco that we feature and push at a competitive price.

BUT it's still late April and we're just entering the high prosecco season. So I put a case of prosecco on my order, but corporate looked at themost recent sales history and just sent four bottles out of the warehouse. We promptly sold one which left three.

At which point a young lady walks into the store just a few minutes ago.

"Which are your driest prosecco's?" she asked.

I pointed to two brands on the shelf. I had 7 of one which sold for $17.99 and 3 of another which sold for $14.99. (You don't need to be told which one I had ordered...)

"Do you have four of that one?" she asked, pointing to less expensive brand.

"I don't know," I lied. "Maybe we have more in the cold box." I offered. (Knowing full well that it was empty- how pathetic!)

"I'm sorry, I needed four, I'm sure I can find them someplace else," she said.

And off she went.

No comments:

Post a Comment